How to Build a Work Bench on a Budget
- Four 33-in. 2x4s (legs A)
- Four 46-in. 2x4s (long stretchers B)
- Four 16-1/2 in. 2x4s (end stretchers C)
- Fifteen 5-ft. 2x4s (bench top D)
- Sixteen 3-1/2 in. x 3/8-in. carriage bolts, nuts and washers Sixteen 3-in. x 3/8-in. lag screws
- 2 lbs. of 3-in. deck screws
Build the base first
Clamp together the stretchers and legs, then predrill and bolt the base together. Keep the width of the legs from outer edge to outer edge at exactly 16-1/2 in. Use this base as a large sawhorse to assemble the top.
Have the necessary tools for this DIY project lined up before you start—you’ll save time and frustration.
- Tape measure
- Circular saw
- Adjustable wrench
- Corded drill
- Table saw
Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. Here’s a list.
- Carriage bolts, 3-1/2-in. x 3/8-in. with nuts and washers
- Lag screws, 3-in. x 3/8-in. with washers
- Deck screws, 3-in.